Master of Science in Human Anatomy and Physiology Instruction
Teach to Transform.
Demand continues to increase for college instructors who are both specialists in anatomy and physiology and well versed in the most current instructional theories and practices. NYCC's Master of Science in Human Anatomy and Physiology Instruction (MSHAPI) program--the first and only one of its kind--was created to satisfy that demand.
MSHAPI degree candidates develop into highly effective instructors who are well-prepared to successfully deliver the subject matter to future healthcare professionals.
Why get your M.S. in Human Anatomy & Physiology Instruction from NYCC?
- Earn your master’s degree 100% online in as little as 2 years
- Gain both the subject and instructional expertise you need to move directly into teaching anatomy and physiology
- Manage your life, work, and studies in a program designed for working professionals
- Study with faculty who teach, mentor, and are seen as some of the preeminent practitioners in the world
- Build your credentials in an in-demand field
FLEXIBLE AND CONVENIENT
As an online program, all of the MSHAPI courses can be completed at your convenience from the location of your choice.
The degree program consists of 36 credits delivered online over two calendar years: 18 credits of Human Anatomy and Physiology Instruction, 12 credits of Instructional Theory and Practices, and 6 elective credits.
Beyond exposure to the Human Anatomy and Physiology Instruction course materials, you will collaborate with professors and classmates in a highly engaging and interactive learning environment and access the NYCC online library, which consists of an array of professional, peer-reviewed medical, research, natural medicine, and alternative health journals.
A five-day, on-campus practicum may be required as part of the curriculum. The on-campus practicum experience provides you with a unique and rewarding opportunity to sharpen your presentation skills while receiving constructive feedback from renowned, experienced anatomy and physiology faculty members.
- Applicants must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have earned a professional degree (MSN, MD, DO, DC, DVM, or other similar advanced clinical degree) awarded by an accredited institution; or
- Have earned a master's degree in a related field from an accredited institution; or
- Demonstrate significant anatomy and physiology teaching experience in the undergraduate college/ university setting; or
- Demonstrate successful completion of the anatomy and physiology course sequence of an advanced clinical degree; or
- Demonstrate successful completion of a graduate certificate program in anatomy and physiology (minimum 12 credits).
- An earned cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale is desired.
The MSHAPI curriculum prepares its graduates to pursue new opportunities as full-time or adjunct college instructors or to gain the necessary professional development experience to advance their careers in the undergraduate education field. As a graduate of the MSHAPI program, you will:
- Master the full spectrum of human anatomy and physiology subject matter while building a solid foundation in instructional theory and best teaching practices.
- Develop a deep understanding of the appropriate instructional level of rigor for undergraduate health science majors.
- Build a complete library of personal teaching tools and resources.
- Gain the expertise and practical experience to obtain highly desirable teaching positions at colleges and universities.
The NYCC Difference
Meet Dr. Laurie Rocco, DC ’05, MSHAPI ‘12
"Taking the MSHAPI program adds choices and opens doors that give so many options."
Online and On Your Time
All of the classes for the MSHAPI degree program can be conveniently completed without having to leave the comfort of your home or office. A one-week on-campus practicum may be required. Beyond access to the Human Anatomy and Physiology Instruction course materials, you can interact with professors and classmates, and access the NYCC online library, which provides an array of professional, peer-reviewed medical, research, natural medicine and alternative health journals.