Office 365 FAQs
How do I get to my new mailbox via the web from outside NYCC?
- Your new Office365 web mailbox can be accessed at: https://outlook.com/owa/nycc.edu
- Use your college user ID (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password to access
Where is the Phish Alert Button now?
- The Phish Alert Button (PAB) is located in a different location, depending on how you're accessing your mail.
- In Outlook on your office PC:
- The PAB is located either in the toolbar on the right or in the grey bar within each message (between the header and message body)
- In Outlook while logged in to Office365 online:
- The PAB is located in the drop-down message once you click on the ellipses on the right-hand side of each message.
- In Outlook on your office PC:
- To view screenshots of these locations, please Click Here
Why are we making this change?
- The college's email server (Exchange) is growing older, and needs to be updated
- Cloud-based email provides several enhancements:
- Access to email from anywhere you have an internet connection
- Backup and security provided by Microsoft
- HIPAA and FERPA business agreements with Microsoft
- Closer coordination to the student email system (already in Office365)
Should I still use Zoom for classes or meetings?
- Yes. The college maintains Zoom licenses for faculty use. Please continue to work with Steve Weidner at ATE for Zoom licenses and questions you may have
- You can connect Zoom to Teams if you would like to use both:
- In Teams, on the left-hand side, click the three dots at the bottom of the list
- Search for Zoom in the search box
- Click on "Add"
How big is my new mailbox?
- You will have a 50 GB limit on emails (nobody is currently even 1/3 of that much)
- You will have a 1TB limit on OneDrive files
What else comes with Office365?
- We're primarily moving to Office365 to take advantage of the cloud-based email, but Office365 includes several other apps that you may want to explore, such as:
- Microsoft Teams (online meeting and collaboration)
- Microsoft OneDrive (cloud-based file storage)
- Initially, IT is supporting the Outlook conversion to cloud-based email. In the future we'll work to provide more enhancements and support for these other tools. In the meantime, if you're interested in using them, you can visit Microsoft's website for more info.
How do I use OneDrive?
- For now, please only use OneDrive to store files that you intend to work on while off-site
- The college's N drive will still be the most appropriate place to store college documents
How do I use Teams?
- Teams can be used to collaborate with colleagues and communicate with files and chat
- It can also be used to schedule and hold video meetings. We do not currently have dial-in capability, so all users will have to have a camera and microphone to participate fully
- If you'd like to schedule a Teams meeting, there is a new button in the Calendar app that you can use called "New Teams Meeting." Your users will have to have a microphone on their computer to be able to talk, we do not currently have dial-in capabilities
Can I install Microsoft Office on my home computer?
- Yes. The educational licensing we received allows you to install Office at home as well
- You will need to log in (with your NYCC User ID and Password) to your account at: https://office.com
- You will see a red "Install Office" button on the top right of the screen
- Follow the instructions to install the Office apps
Why am I getting Daily Briefing emails from Cortana now?
- Cortana is a Microsoft service that attempts to keep you informed of tasks that you may have to complete, based on emails you’ve received in the past. If you find the Cortana emails helpful, you can continue to receive them. But if you don’t wish to keep getting these updates, you can stop them. At the bottom of each email from Cortana is an “Unsubscribe” link. Click this link, and log in to Office 365 using your college email and network password. Then indicate why you'd like to stop getting these emails and click "Submit."