New HERO Act Requirements (09.08.21)
Dear Northeast College Community,
I am writing to share the latest information on New York state's HERO Act and the actions we are taking to ensure safety and compliance.
Earlier this week, Gov. Kathy Hochul directed the NYS Commissioner of Health to officially designate COVID-19 as a "highly contagious communicable disease that presents a serious risk of harm to the public health." With this designation, under the NYS HERO Act, all employers in our state are now required to review and activate the appropriate portions of their infection control plans.
Northeast College's state-required plan was distributed to employees in August via ADP, and a recently updated plan will be similarly shared; employees will again be required to acknowledge receipt. As well, an online video will soon be available to review the HERO Act and the College's safety plan, the plan's requirements and what its activation means for you.
With the full enaction of the HERO Act, all employees at the College are now required to:
- Complete the online health screening survey at www.northeastcollege.edu/screening every day before coming to campus and follow the instructions received upon form completion. *NOTE: Names will now be required for form completion and, as per NYS requirements, results of daily employee and visitor surveys will be stored confidentially and securely and reviewed to ensure compliance. Paper copies of the survey will be available at the security entrance to the Administration Building for those not able to use the web-based version.
- Stay home and contact the appropriate campus official(s) if you have any symptoms of illness or believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Comply with all COVID-related signage on campus.
- Wear a mask when on campus, regardless of vaccination status. Masks may only be removed while actively eating or drinking or when alone in a private office setting.
- Wear other Personal Protective Equipment (such as gloves or face shields) when appropriate.
- Wash your hands frequently for 20+ seconds with warm water and soap and sanitize frequently between hand washings.
- Cough or sneeze into your mask and/or into the front of your elbow if possible.
- Maintain appropriate distance from others wherever possible.
- Avoid hugs and handshakes; consider a warm smile or an elbow bump as an alternative physical greeting.
Other related measures to be aware of:
- Room occupancy will continue to be limited to allow adequate physical distancing.
- Elevator use is restricted to one person at a time. (Two occupants are permitted when a person needs assistance or is a minor.)
- Remote meetings are encouraged.
- Gatherings are discouraged and require approval.
- Ventilation systems have been adjusted for maximum filtration and air flow.
- Hand sanitization stations can be found throughout campus.
- Drinking fountains will be available for contactless bottle filling only.
It is important to understand that our COVID numbers on campus remain very low -- and we want to keep them that way. Please be sure to follow all health guidelines and best practices, and consider getting the COVID-19 vaccination if you have not already done so.
For both current and previously shared health and safety updates from Northeast, be sure to check our Health, Safety and the #NortheastBlue web pages at https://www.northeastcollege.edu/health-safety.
Please contact me, your supervisor, or Christine McDermott with COVID-related questions.
J. Todd Knudsen, D.C., DACBR
Vice President of Stakeholder Engagement
Campus Safety Monitor