Student Update on the NYS Travel Advisory (July 23, 2020)
Dear NYCC Students,
As you know from previous communications, New York State (NY) has issued a travel advisory for anyone returning to NY from states that have a significant degree of community-wide spread of COVID-19.
The current requirements and states on the travel advisory list are found here: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory **Please note: this list changes regularly, based on states' current testing data. It is important you check the list for the most recent information.
As a best course of practice, students and faculty coming to NY from one of the advisory states should plan to enter a precautionary, self-quarantine for 14 days immediately upon return.
Requirements for Precautionary Quarantine:
- Complete the Online Traveler Health Form found here: https://forms.ny.gov/s3/Welcome-to-New-York-State-Traveler-Health-Form
- Stay in quarters with separate bathroom facilities for each individual or family group, including access to a sink with soap, water, and paper towels.
- Self-monitor for fever and other symptoms of COVID-19 daily throughout the duration of the quarantine period.
- Place cleaning supplies (for example, disinfecting spray or cleaning wipes) in shared bathrooms.
- If you share a common space or bathroom and become symptomatic, consider all others sharing the space as "exposed" until appropriately evaluated and cleared.
- Have food delivered to your living quarters. (i.e., don't go out to grocery stores, restaurants, etc.)
- Have a supply of face coverings for your use.
- Bag and leave garbage outside the quarters's door for routine pick up.
- Stay in regular contact with Carol Faivre -- 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 315.568.3047; after hours: 315.521.9042; or via email: email@example.com
If it is not possible for you to arrive 14 days prior to the start of classes and/or self-quarantine for 14 days, students and faculty in healthcare programs (such as those at NYCC) may follow a modified process for "essential workers."
Requirements for "Essential Workers":
- Get tested for COVID-19 as soon as possible within 24 hours of arrival in NY. *Note: A list of testing sites/resources can be found here: https://www.nycc.edu/coronavirus/update-07-07-20
- Monitor your temperature and symptoms.
- When in public or shared spaces, wear a face covering, maintain social distancing, clean and disinfect work and/or classroom spaces for a minimum of 14 days.
- Avoid extended periods in public, contact with strangers, and large congregate settings for at least 7 days.
- Complete the daily health-screening questionnaire found at: https://www.nycc.edu/coronavirus/covid-screening and follow instructions returned at the completion of the survey. Note: this step may disqualify you from being on campus and start a separate process, depending on your answers.
If the above requirements are met, and you are cleared through the daily health screen questionnaire, you may report to campus for classes (with the noted distancing and PPE requirements).
We recognize changes to NYS travel advisory requirements occur frequently, and are here to help. Questions about these requirements should be sent to Carol Faivre at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol L. Faivre, B.S., Director
Office of Student Engagement & Residence Life